Best time to Call:

*required fields

Compare Stair Lifts

If you prefer, you can speak to one of our Customer Care Representative at


Find Your Local Stair Lift Consultant

Stair Lift Cost

There are many ways to finance a stair lift, including loans, grants, financing offered by dealers, home equity loans, or reverse mortgages.

If you have a basic straight staircase, expect to pay between $2,800 to $4,000. In some circumstances, stair lifts can cost up to $15,000, depending on your market or staircase configuration. The cost quoted usually includes installation. In some municipalities, permits and/or site inspections are needed which will affect the cost you pay for a stair lift. Some companies offer attractive rental or pre-owned programs that make stair lifts more affordable. Note: Medicare does not cover stair lifts.


Below is information on several options.

  • Area Agency on Aging: Some area Agencies on Aging use funds from the Older Americans Act Title III to modify homes. To locate the area Agency on Aging in your community, call the Eldercare Locator at (800) 677-1116 or visit
  • Banks and Lenders: Some banks offer loans to finance home modification projects such as building ramps, installing lifts, widening doors, or lowering cabinets. Banks and lending agencies also offer reverse mortgages that allow homeowners to turn the value of their home into cash. Contact the local banking and lending organizations for more information. Free counseling on reverse mortgages is available from a HUD*-approved housing counseling agency. Call (888)466-3487 for a referral. (*HUD - U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.)
  • Department of Housing and Community Development: Many cities and towns use Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) to help maintain and upgrade homes. Contact the local Department for more information. A listing of Housing and Community Development Agencies can be found by visiting or calling the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials toll free at (877) 866-2476.
  • Federal Housing Administration (FHA): The FHA, which is part of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), administers mortgage insurance programs (e.g., Title 1 and Section 203(k)) that can help homebuyers and homeowners secure loans to make home modifications. For more information, contact the regional HUD field office listed in the telephone directory, call (202) 708-1112. The local FHA-lender can be found by visiting
  • Health Insurance: Some private health insurance and long term care insurance plans also pay for limited home modifications. Check with your insurance provider.
  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS): If the home modifications meet certain conditions, they may be tax deductible. Part of the expense of installing lifts may be deductible if they increase the resale value of the property and have been prescribed as medically necessary. Consult a tax professional and order a free copy of IRS Publication 502 for more information. Contact the IRS by visiting or call (800) 829-3676.
  • Rural Housing Services (RHS): Grants/Loans Part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the RHS offers various grants and loans for rural, low-income elders. RHS Section 502 Home Ownership Loans may be used to rehabilitate, repair, buy, build, or improve rural homes and related facilities. RHS Section 504, the Very Low-Income Housing Repair Program, provides loans and grants to very low-income persons 62 years and older to repair, improve, or modernize their dwellings, or to remove health and safety hazards. To locate the local Rural Development area offices, visit To learn more about the USDA Rural Housing Services programs, visit or call (530)792-5820, (530)792-5848 (TDD).
  • State Assistive: Technology Programs Offer loans and grants for people with disabilities and their family members. Visit for your state contact information.
  • Veterans Administration The Veteran's Administration (VA): offers programs that pay for lifts. For more information, contact the VA Office at 1-877-222-VETS or